1. Hi and welcome to Betnod. If you would like to view the forum without adverts then please register.

Betfair going down hill?

Discussion in 'Betting Talk' started by Yorkieacer, Jan 13, 2012.

1. Yorkieacer

Yorkieacer BEST GAMBLER IN WORLD

After the horse racing fiasco and numerous times it goes down on a saturday afternoon, it appears to of been down for a few hours this afternoon. Is it time one or the other company's try and rival Betfair now, alot of people are pissed off so they say so time for Betdaq to step up?
  2. Seen

Seen Moderator

No chance.

Betdaq have no interest in rivalling Betfair.
  3. Yorkieacer

Why though? I dont understand it surely as a business you want to improve and make more money they should be taking advantage of all these fuck ups by Betfair
  4. ONEDUNME

ONEDUNME Administrator

This could be a turning point for you Yorkie. Whatever Seen says, listen to it. He knows what he's talking about
  5. beamer

beamer Moderator

There is no opposition to Betfair at the moment, but there must be a strong chance Betdaq will be sold at some stage. I'm sure City investors would want to support any company that would be prepared to go the long haul and back a marketing campaign aimed at taking market share primarily away from Betfair and the traditional bookies.

Seeding the markets is something that needs to be done in the first instance, which is probably were Betdaq missed the boat in the early days.

The potential technology link up with Ladbrokes may be them testing the water, as it really is baffling why the "big 3" haven't attempted to get involved.

Any concerns of it being referred to Monopolies and Mergers passed years ago with the strength of Betfair.

I'm sure Branson will have a pop at some stage.
  6. Seen

Seen Moderator

Monopolies are no good in any walk of life and the lack of competition to Betfair is a negative for all punters. Considering the contempt and arrogance they have regularly shown towards their customers they should count themselves very fortunate indeed that Betdaq are so content to sit in their shadow.

Around 4 years ago I had a Betdaq rep sat opposite me in my living room (no he wasn't being held against his will :naughty) and he told me that Betdaq had no intentions whatsoever of trying to become a realistic challenger to BF, he said the tennis and football markets were doing very well and the horse racing was improving (although in-running was and still is pathetic) but they were happy as it was.

If you take a minute or two to read this interview with a Betdaq marketing director...

http://centrecourttrading.blogspot.com/2011/12/betdaq-q-session.html

...you will see how negative they are about becoming a serious challenger...especially this bit...

Really? So the commission rates are lower and there is no premium Charge, so that makes Betdaq a 'serious rival'? Fuck off.

Betdaq missed a massive opportunity when BF brought in the original PC and did so again when the 40-60% PC was introduced. Not to mention the numerous times BF has crashed on busy Sat afternoons with some appalling customer relations.
  7. Punter

Punter Moderator

Is there any possibility that the two exchanges are linked? Or owned or were set up (funded maybe) by the same company or people rather? I just cant see a reason why they refuse to push to be a more competitive rival.

It just doesnt make sense. Was there an agreement ever made maybe, regarding rights of their very similar software.
    I just cant help but feel that somewhere down the line they are the same company. I'm mean wouldn't it be the best market strategy if you owned your nearest rival?
    I dont know, i definately feel like they are linked in ownership/partnership some how though?
  8. Seen

Seen Moderator

No, definitely not.

The Betdaq bot does feed off the Betfair market though, which is why they always move in tandem (short delay).
  9. Wayne

Wayne Active Member

I understand how punters' bots can be set up to hoover up all the over-rounds and pricing errors by punters but what does the Betdaq Bot do on Betfair? Is it creating trade on Betdaq by laying/backing on Betfair?

Also, something else I never understood. I see references (I think?) to Betfair feeding it's markets with it's own bots, etc. How and why does this happen?

I've tried looking on Google but can't find anything that explains it.

Incidentally I closed my Betfair accounts about 18 months ago due to their disgusting attitude and a couple of issues I had with their customer services where they literally shrugged their shoulders and said 'tough'. Not really missed it tbh as I can use B365 for any inplay bets I want to make. Admittedly, the prices aren't quite as good (pre-commission) but there's no stress and no downtime. Having said that, as I didn't lay much, it's not as big an issue for me to take that stance is it.
  10. Punter

Punter Moderator

Why would Betfair allow that?
  11. Seen

Seen Moderator

Apologies, the wording of my post probably gives the wrong impression. Betdaq seed their own markets and the only way they can do that without getting raped by the arbers is to have a bot which constantly monitors the BF markets and keeps them in tandem. I said it 'feeds off' the BF market which suggests it back/lays but I simply meant it gets it's information from the BF markets.

The Betdaq market usually moves first and the BF market follows, this might sound weird considering the size of the two exchanges, but this happens for two reasons. Firstly, the vast majority of on-course bookmakers use Betdaq to hedge their bets, so when a horse is backed on course to chunky money then the books quickly hedge their liabilities on Betdaq (and often it'll be several books rather then just one), which leads to the second reason - the liquidity on Betdaq is far lower than on BF so the money coming from on-course books will shorten the price on Betdaq several ticks at a time, whereas on BF there is more money so this takes longer to be taken (by the bots run by arbers over the two exchanges), hence the delay in BF following Betdaq.
  12. Seen

Seen Moderator

Here are the screenshots from the 2.10 Catterick, these were taken in-running as they started to turn in to the home straight.

Betfair on the left, Betdaq on the right. Win market top, place market bottom. Betdaq remains an absolute joke for in-running betting (on the horses).

[​IMG]
  13. Punter

Punter Moderator

14. Yorkieacer

:eek Was going to put some in there this week before the euros as they keep sending me emails with offers