1. Hi and welcome to Betnod. If you would like to view the forum without adverts then please register.

Cheltenham Festival Day1 Tue 10th March

Discussion in 'Horse Racing & Greyhound Tips' started by ONEDUNME, Feb 16, 2015.

1. ONEDUNME

ONEDUNME Administrator

Race 1 Supreme Novice Hurdle

Race 2 Arkle Trophy

Race 3 Festival Handicap Chase

Race 4 Champion Hurdle

Race 5 Mares Hurdle

Race 6 National Hunt Chase

Race 7 Novices Handicap Chase

Feel free to put up your comments and fancies
  2. Punter

Punter Moderator

OOOOH Cheltenham, bloody brilliant!

I've got no definite's yet but the starting point is always the Champion Hurdle for me.
    How good is Faugheen, or Hurricane Fly come to that? Both have to be on the shortlist.

At the moment i'm still siding with The New One though. I just can't forget how she recovered last year to get so close after being so badly hampered. Completely stopped in her tracks and pretty much had to re start her race from 3 hurdles in. Quite brilliant how horse and joc got back, in such a big race. Another 50yrds and they'd of won.

The New One's last race was worrying, scraping home at Haydock but i'm putting that down to it being a fitness/prep race in heavy ground.

Jezki was a big payer for me last season, i have to be worried about him again but with a clear run, i just think the Cheltenham Hill is made for The New One and i urge you to go watch last years race again.

In the National Hunt Chase, if she runs i'll be on Theatre Queen. Local owners and a big price @ 66/1.
  3. Kegman

Kegman Moderator

I think Jezki ew is a free bet imo at 6/1 Can't see this not finishing in first 3.

The New One was going to be my bet but last run has put me off.
    Punter likes this.
  4. ONEDUNME

ONEDUNME Administrator

Punter wrote (on Horsenap.com)

At the moment i'm still siding with The New One though. I just can't forget how she recovered last year to get so close after being so badly hampered. Completely stopped in her tracks and pretty much had to re start her race from 3 hurdles in. Quite brilliant how horse and joc got back, in such a big race. Another 50yrds and they'd of won.

The New One's last race was worrying, scraping home at Haydock but i'm putting that down to it being a fitness/prep race in heavy ground.

Jezki was a big payer for me last season, i have to be worried about him again but with a clear run, i just think the Cheltenham Hill is made for The New One and i urge you to go watch last years race again.

...and my reply re' top jock at the festival bets

Speaking of The New One, I'll be keeping a close eye on what rides Sam Twiston-Davies gets Punter with a view to backing him for top jock (two bets - one without Ruby Walsh and one outright, you never know, he could break his leg in race one God forbid).
  5. Punter

Punter Moderator

1st and 2nd, in no particular order for me Kegs.

One that i've taken off the shortlist after further review is Hurricane Fly, as brilliant as he's been i'm thinking more that he wont finish in the placings now, and this could be the race that retires him.

That's a good call ODM, i'm having some of that now you mention him. I'll leave it till day 1 of the festival but i'm going to comeback for this bet. I might miss out on the 12/1 by not taking now but i'll make sure he's there first. He should be and he should get some cracking rides for Nicholls alone. I cant' see a market for him without Walsh just yet though. I'm hoping that will be an interesting price. Maybe a decent size bet if his odds are bigger than Geraghty and McCoys.
  6. Punter

Punter Moderator

I wish Willie Mullins would call it a day so Cheltenham would become more open again :ohwell

Really hard to oppose him on the opening day. "Douvan is the best horse i've ever sent to Cheltenham" "Hurricane Fly is the each way bet of the festival"

Un De Sceaux, 8/13 on.

He's even money to train 6 or more winners.

very short priced favourites isn't the way i like to bet. I'm finding myself looking for horses at better place prices. I'm looking for the runners up ffs.
  7. ONEDUNME

ONEDUNME Administrator

It's the same every year with the short priced favs being unbeatable and then some of them getting beaten. Every single year. The ew market is shite in not handicap races with only 3 places for some 20 runner races - wank. Best to look around the bookies for an extra place or two (or even betfair). You may end up taking shorter prices than the 3 place market but it's hard enough at the festival to get one in the top four so that's the way I'll be going with the big priced ones.
  8. Punter

Punter Moderator

Wise words.

I see the Champion Hurdle is down to just 8 runners now, i hope none of the others pull out between now and Tuesday and knacker up the each way bets.
  9. ONEDUNME

ONEDUNME Administrator

Well if you're on ew before no runner no bet, I'm pretty sure you get the 3rd place as that's the bet you're taking "all in - run or not". I'm on Jezki ew at 6/1.. I think Faugheen will win it but that's a shit price considering the three in the market behind it
  10. Punter

Punter Moderator

It's a NRNB bet so i think i'd lose out?
  11. Punter

Punter Moderator

I think i'm sorted for day one now. Some are on, some to be added on the day

Race 1 Supreme Novice Hurdle

I'm on a small e.w.bet with QEWY @ 16

Race 2 Arkle Trophy

No bet as yet and the odds on fav looks to have this. I'll probably have a small e.w bet on THREE KINGDOMS @ around 20/1

Race 3 Festival Handicap Chase

No bet as yet but a mate went down to Cheltenham tonight for one of those group discussion thingy's and the panel were all in favour of NED STARK. At around 8/1 i'll probably end up on that.

Race 4 Champion Hurdle

If HURRICANE FLY finishes in the 1st three, i'll run bollock naked round the block singing "Glory glory Man utd".
    Not happening, unplaced and retired is my prediction.

It's between FAUGHEEN, THE NEW ONE and JEZKI imo. Though i wont rule out ARTIC FIRE, KITTEN ROCK, or even BERTIMONT getting involved at the finish. I've a medium e.w bet on THE NEW ONE @ 3/1 and a small e.w bet on BERTIMONT @ 100/1

Race 5 Mares Hurdle

I think ANNIE POWER will get turned over by stable mate GLENS MELODY. I'm holding out fo 5/1 for an e.w bet but i'll take whatever i can on the day. I'm quite keen on this bet.

Race 6 National Hunt Chase

This is all about the local horse for me. We're all on THEATRE QUEEN down this way. Local bookies will be shitting in their pants if TQ is there abouts at the finish. I've got some 84 on the exchanges, 66/1 and 50/1 e.w bets. Nothing big but enough to keep me drunk till after easter. #TeamTheatreQueen

12. Topdog

Topdog Moderator

Good Luck

2.40-Barrakilla

Each Way @ 12-1 [Skybet] BOG

1/4 12345
  13. Punter

Punter Moderator

5 places, that's what we want to see. Good luck Topdog :thumb
    Topdog likes this.
  14. Kegman

Kegman Moderator

Shaneshill
    Josses Hill
    Ned Stark
    The New One also got Jezki ew ante post
    Emily Gray
    Theatre Queen
    Little Jon

Good luck everybody with what you back but especially Theatre Queen. I've taken up sky's offer of a free bet if your horse gets beat in the first by backing Shaneshill but didn't mean to bet £25 (was just pissing about to see how much it would return if it did win) and somehow pressed the bet button so fingers crossed :unsure
    Punter likes this.
  15. ONEDUNME

ONEDUNME Administrator

:lol I think we've all done similar things mate - hope it turns out to be lucky for you.

I'll repost this before I post my selections
    Good luck to you all chaps. I haven't had a quarter of my normal stakes on this year so I just know I'm going to pick plenty of winners

Because that's the way life works. May increase stakes letter in the week but nothing is jumping out at me so strongly as to lump much money on. Anyway, here are my selections and, as usual, there are more than one per race

130 The two mcmanus horses Jollyalan and A V ew (with paddy power money back if the fav wins)
    Also like the look of Qewy at 14/1 if one of the others doesn't run, I'll be on it. First race has been generally good to me over the years

205 Clarcam ew and V Voltat both with money back if fav wins

240 Pendra (of course). Got a couple of quid ew on at 16/1 a while ago - wish it had been more but had to take 6/1 with coral (money back as a free bet if faller) which is currently drifting. Dursey Sound ew at 40/1 (50s available)

320 As mentioned before, Jezki -Like Punter, I hope they keep the 8 runners in the race for the ew places. Also had a saver on the new one as STD is one of the best jockeys around in my opinion

400 Small stakes as I don't see the fav being beaten. I was watching a replay of last year's festival and Glen's Melody my have to settle with 2nd place to a superstar as he did last year but I'll take my chance. Ew selection Carole's Spirit

440 Theatre Queen ew and Cause of Causes (straight win) - both for different reasons but my logical pick would be Very Wood (which I will back if one of the first two don't run for any reason)

515 I like the look of Keltus (again twiston Davies) which I've backed ew at 9s }(money back if faller) and my main bet is Bold Henry which is currently my biggest bet of the day. Small ew on Rum and Butter. One of the McManus 2nd string always wins every year and this one could be the one this time around at a massive 33/1. Shame there are only 3 places as I will have to kick something if it happens to finish fourth.

Good luck to all
    Punter likes this.
  16. Howson

Howson Well-Known Member

PUNTER - I

If HURRICANE FLY finishes in the 1st three, i'll run bollock naked round the block singing "Glory glory Man utd".
    Not happening, unplaced and retired is my prediction.

Please can you arrange for this to be filmed and u must wear a Liverpool shirt in the process of doing it - Slick will sort out where it can be downloaded ha ha ha ha ha good lad.
  17. slick

slick Administrator

18. Punter

Punter Moderator

lol, ffs, i'm just kicking my undies off now ...*SLAMS THE FRONT DOOR*.... "GLORY GLORY MAN UNITED" Glor....."
  19. Topdog

Topdog Moderator

Unplaced:duh
  20. Punter

Punter Moderator