1. Hi and welcome to Betnod. If you would like to view the forum without adverts then please register.

Coronavirus Covid-19 stats from worldometer

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by slick, Mar 24, 2020.

1. slick

slick Administrator

We may have shit life styles but do possess a strong backbone, I work in a multinational environment and guarantee it was only the Brits who didn't give a fcuk while others were coming in with gloves, masks, jock straps, Mr Blobby suits on etc etc, worried to death about catching it.
    That's not completely true as there were some younger snowflake Brits who thought the same but in the main the slightly older ones thought fcuk it and joked about it.

Not a bad mindset and I suppose one that got us through many a war.
  2. ONEDUNME

ONEDUNME Administrator

The February figures aren't posted on here are they Slick? I can't see them but if you mean second in the total number of figures, then that's not surprising as the China, Korea, Japan area is where it all started so even a handful of cases would have put them second or third on the list behind China in the early stages. South Korea soon became the second biggest story in the world and as soon as they got over a hundred cases, they would have knocked Japan down to 3rd and the rest of the world then shot past them like a ferrari overtaking a Nissen Sunny with a flat tyre.

I'd never really looked at Japan before you mentioned them but for such a large population they've done bloody well to keep the death rate down. I have nothing other than total guesswork to suggest why but it is an Island (or a collection of islands) which are, in name, a democracy but in reality, operate under a much more disciplined regime than us for example.

This is interesting, both in the fact that an insider says that the figures are lower than they should be, and for the fact that the Diamond Princess were originally counted in their early figures which I hadn't considered.

On Wednesday, Japan recorded 33 new cases of Covid-19, the illness caused by the novel coronavirus, its highest one-day increase since the outbreak began, according to numbers released by the Health Ministry. The overall total now stands at 1,023, of which 706 are from the Diamond Princess cruise ship.
    But Japan's coronavirus figures are likely already much higher than reported, with the infection rate suspected to be just the "tip of the iceberg," according to Masahiro Kami, the executive director of Japan's Medical Governance Research Institute, a non-profit group.
    Kami says for every one patient tested, there are many more who remain undiagnosed. But as most of these people are either asymptomatic or have mild symptoms they don't go to a clinic to get checked out.
    slick likes this.
  3. slick

slick Administrator

New York must be releasing figures randomly rather than over a 24 hour period because it's figures for yesterday are no where near the initial figure.
  4. slick

slick Administrator

Total deaths in the USA for yesterday is 247 not 133
  5. slick

slick Administrator

Italy's figures just in, deaths remain around the same level but confirmed new cases up.
    Seems they are on a knife edge at the moment.
  6. slick

slick Administrator

UK announce 113 deaths, that's the sort of figure we were expecting yesterday and not good news.
  7. ONEDUNME

ONEDUNME Administrator

Yep
  8. ONEDUNME

ONEDUNME Administrator

Where you got that figure from mate and is it broken down by country?
  9. ONEDUNME

ONEDUNME Administrator

BBC news have just announced 115 deaths today. Worldometer saying the same now
  10. rcgills

rcgills Moderator

According to https://twitter.com/DHSCgovuk, apparently they're changing the times at which they take the figures. Yesterday's figures were for deaths from 9am on the 24th to 5pm on the 24th, so only 8 hours, hence the low figure. Today's figures are for deaths from 5pm on the 24th to 5pm on the 25th
  11. slick

slick Administrator

That's good to know:thumb
  12. slick

slick Administrator

That's the whole of the UK, worldometer doesn'tbreak the country down although if you click 'UK' on the chart it will take you to the UK data and sometimes the breakdown is in the newsfeed.

There's a breakdown for the US states though if you click on that.
  13. slick

slick Administrator

USA now overtake China go to the top of the Worldometer list:eek
    Expect Italy to move upto second tomorrow.:frown
  14. slick

slick Administrator

I fear for the US, with the dickhead they have in charge and most states struggling for PPE and ventilators, plus their limited healthcare for the privileged few, I have a feeling their numbers are going to go balistic.
  15. slick

slick Administrator

Spains figures have increased:thinking worldometer is now reporting 718 deaths.

If so they recorded more deaths than Italy for the first time.

1.PNG
  16. rcgills

rcgills Moderator

Not sure those figures are right, Slick :thinking

On Worldometer the source they're quoting for the Spanish figure is this one - https://www.rtve.es/noticias/20200326/mapa-del-coronavirus-espana/2004681.shtml

On there, at the top it says 4365 deaths, but then I can't see that figure anywhere else, and everything else they've posted seems to match what had been announced earlier today. The graph a little way down ("
    Casos activos, recuperados y muertos con coronavirus en España") says 4089 deaths (with the source given as the Ministry of Health).

Scroll down a little bit more and there's a bar chart "Incremento de fallecidos diarios de coronavirus en España", also from the Ministry of Health, which gives the number of deaths yesterday as 655, which was the figure I mentioned yesterday afternoon.

This is the official government page for the Covid-19 stats - https://covid19.isciii.es/

And it gives the official number of deaths (fallecidos) as 4089.

So fuck knows where RTVE have got their figure of 4365 which Worldometer have reported
    slick likes this.
  17. ONEDUNME

ONEDUNME Administrator

When does the weather start improving over there RC? Africa seem to be getting off lighter than we are but i understand that there are coming out of their summer so are they going to see their figures rising rapidly and is the weather likely to help Spain a bit
  18. rcgills

rcgills Moderator

Depends mate, I've known months of April since I've been here where we've already had 40ºC, but more usually (if you're talking proper heat as opposed to just nice and warm), June.
  19. ONEDUNME

ONEDUNME Administrator

Can't in our hopes on that then:frown
  20. slick

slick Administrator

Not so sure about that, A south African was on the radio yesterday and said it was pretty rife there, they don't have many testing kits in Africa so I don't think we know the true figures.
    Saying that if it was as bad as Europe I'm sure we'd know about it.