1. Hi and welcome to Betnod. If you would like to view the forum without adverts then please register.

England Top Scorer

Discussion in 'Euro 2012 betting' started by Punter, May 16, 2012.

1. Punter

Punter Moderator

Best Odds...

W.Rooney 5/1
    D.Welbeck 13/2
    A.Young 7/1
    S.Gerrard 9/1
    D.Sturridge 11/1
    T.Walcott 11/1
    A.Carroll 12/1
    F.Lampard 14/1
    J.Defoe 16/1
    20/1 Bar

England might not get past the group stage - Rooney missing for the 1st 2 games - A.Carroll to be Top England Scorer @ 12/1 Skybet.

He may not go, but pressuming he does (backed from 4/7 to 2/7 yesterday) and he puts in the effort that he showed in the last 5 or 6 games of the season then they might not know how to handle him.

One of my bigger bets.
  2. stereoman

stereoman Member

Andy Carroll's a best-price of 7/1 over at Ladbrokes and Paddy Power now.

He'll probably lead the attack with Steven Gerrard, Ashley Young and possibly Theo Walcott behind him in support.

I hope England don't play for a draw against France in the first game as it just puts pressure to get results against Sweden in the second game (a narrow win in a friendly last time out but it's mostly draws) and Ukraine in the last game.

http://www.oddschecker.com/football...012/england-euro-2012-specials/top-goalscorer

OT: It can't be worse than World Cup 2010, can it!? A 'nightmare' for backers of this market with Jermain Defoe, Steven Gerrard and Matthew Upson the only goalscorers.

http://www.englandfootballonline.com/cmpwc/CmpWC2010Squad.html
  3. Yorkieacer

Yorkieacer BEST GAMBLER IN WORLD

Take it England arnt starting the first two with 4-4-2 formation then? Otherwise i would have Defoe, Im thinking maybe Gerrard if he will be taking the penaltys and added on that he gets up front quite a bit and will probably be the free kick taker
  4. Seen

Seen Moderator

Aren't you forgetting that Andy Carroll is not very good?
  5. Seen

Seen Moderator

6. hotspur

hotspur Active Member

This is certainly a very intriguing situation and one I will almost certainly get involved in so thanks Punter for drawing attention to it.
    In general I think it will be a good idea to have positions on every outsider* in this market.
    Andy Carrolls price has come right in now so well done on that spot Punter.Now the question is,is he worth betting on as he probably isnt value.
    One of the most interesting things about antepost betting is that there are many situations where betting on a price that you dont believe is value is not a stupid thing to do.
    The only problem is I am not sure that I can phone a bookie and say I want to bet on Andy Caroll for top England scorer:eek:.
    I have my pride you know!
    Still,needs must I spose:unsure

*within reason,I mean-ie those likely to actually play inc subs in the case of strikers and attacking midfielders
  7. Punter

Punter Moderator

Will you be putting your dislike for everything geordie aside and cheering when Carroll scores this summer Seen? :)
    I'm pinching your link btw, funny as fuck lol.
  8. slick

slick Administrator

It's a bleedin lottery because Rooney is our only striker guaranteed a start but in his absence you may aswell take a lucky dip.
    Personally amongst the rest I'd say Defoe was the best striker and more likely to take any chances that come his way should he get the nod.

It might be aswell waiting up until the last minute to get team news for the first game because if we are only there for three matches 33.33% is a huge chunk of them.
  9. stereoman

stereoman Member

Yep, it does appear that way if only going by these two friendlies against Norway and Belgium. This market isn't going to be fun.

Who will Roy Hodgson pick to be the lone striker? Andy Carroll or Danny Welbeck? At this rate, I think Roy's gonna pick Welbeck and put Carroll on the bench as an 'impact substitute' and hope that Andy can spring a surprise in the second half against France and Sweden.

The current best odds:

Wayne Rooney 6/1 (general)
    Andy Carroll 7/1 (William Hill)
    Ashley Young 7/1 (Coral)
    Danny Welbeck 15/;2 (Paddy Power)
    Steven Gerrard 8/1 (general)
    Jermain Defoe 12/1 (Paddy Power)
    Theo Walcott 12/1 (Boylesports/Ladbrokes/Stan James)

http://www.oddschecker.com/football...012/england-euro-2012-specials/top-goalscorer
  10. ONEDUNME

ONEDUNME Administrator

I'm backing Glen Johnson for top scorer at a big price. From what I've seen they'll be lucky to score more than two
  11. Punter

Punter Moderator

I think that Carroll may start for the opening two games and maybe Downing too? My reasons for thinking this is Carroll has been excellent at defending from set pieces and corners, he won everything in Norway in our own box from this position, it's a great advantage to our defence, in what needs to be strong, particuly in the opening 2 games.
    Downing and Gerrard will be looking to play him in when attacking as they do at Liverpool, they know each others game.

I think our attacking line up will change when we play Ukraine in the last group game, Downing out, seeing the return of Rooney, Young and Welbeck, they will play as they do at Utd. From that point in i can see Carroll as the impact substitute, either to try and win a game or to defend a leading position.
  12. stereoman

stereoman Member

Joleon Lescott is now the general 4/1 favourite!? :unsure
  13. ONEDUNME

ONEDUNME Administrator

Looks like I chose the wrong defender
  14. Punter

Punter Moderator

...at least you picked somebody who's getting a game :lookaround
  15. stereoman

stereoman Member

16. slick

slick Administrator

Carroll has been mentioned allthough I thought we did ok against the French albeit Wellbeck looked a bit isolated.
    If Carroll plays then I take it AOC will be on the bench which is a pity as I would like to see him have another outing now he's had a competitive game under his belt.
  17. stereoman

stereoman Member

18. stereoman

stereoman Member

What an absolute potential headache for those who've had a punt in this market with FIVE different players scoring a solitary goal! :unsure

The current best odds are:

Wayne Rooney 9/5 (188bet)
    Danny Welbeck 9/2 (Bet365)
    Andy Carroll 7/1 (Bet365)
    Theo Walcott 7/1 (Betvictor/Blue SQ/Sky Bet)
    Joleon Lescott 16/1 (general)
    Ashley Young 20/1 (188bet/Boylesports/Paddy Power)
    Steven Gerrard 22/1 (Paddy Power)
    Jermain Defoe 40/1 (Bet365)

40/1 bar
  19. ONEDUNME

ONEDUNME Administrator

Well if you're thinking of having a bet on that market now, you have to be backing someone at over 5/1 so that you can get your money back if England don't score tonight and they get knocked out (entirely possible). You'd have to be a fucking idiot to back Rooney at that price, given that he's 9/4 to score anytime tonight and will presumably be at least that in any future games too. If you fancy him to be top scorer, you'd be better off betting on that market instead of this.

Of the above, Carroll looks to be the value bet. Not that I'll be playing on it, a small bet on Welbeck anytime tonight is my bet - 7/2 with VC but I'll probably look for a "money back if......" offer from paddypower or someone" and wait for the lineups to be announced
  20. traeth

traeth Moderator

thanks for bringing it to my attention ODM

The bet for me is Carroll , as you've highlighted if England lose tonight without scoring tonight I'll be in profit , if he's the only scorer and they lose it's a decent price.
    An England win would be a negative if Carroll does not score - this scenario is worrying me now.

I've edited the bit about the in-play free bet that I got wrong