1. Hi and welcome to Betnod. If you would like to view the forum without adverts then please register.

Europa cup winners to Champs League

Discussion in 'Sports Talk' started by Colbro, May 25, 2013.

1. Colbro

Colbro Well-Known Member

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22640095

No mention though if each country is still limited to only 4 teams.

Ie What would happen if Chelsea had finished 5th behind Spurs in the league this year?

Would Spurs have missed out again?
  2. slick

slick Administrator

Excellent decision, I've been calling that for years.

I'd also do the same with the FA cup to make it prestigious once again as it used to be.
    It's a sad state of affairs when finishing 4th in the league means more than winning the FA cup, 'when I was a lad' The FA cup was on par with the league title , final day was a huge event no matter who played in it and I'd like to see it become just as important again.
  3. ONEDUNME

ONEDUNME Administrator

No. If the Europa League winners are in the top four, then the fifth club still goes into the competition. So we could have up to 5 teams in there. So even if the Champions League winners AND the Europa cup winners both come from the top five clubs in the Prem, then only the three other teams in the top five will go through - not the sixth team as well.

Sounds fair enough to me (apart from the obvious point that they should stop calling it the fucking CHAMPIONS league when it quite blatantly is nothing of the sort).
  4. AnothrSpacecat

AnothrSpacecat YES voter

i think in the last 16 of the tournament thats just finished, only real madrid, juventus, celtic and dortmund were league champions lol