1. Hi and welcome to Betnod. If you would like to view the forum without adverts then please register.

Eurovision 2014

Discussion in 'Special & Novelty Betting' started by Steve_uk, Mar 1, 2014.

1. Steve_uk

Steve_uk Well-Known Member BANNED

The contest gets a little more serious next week as the rehearsals proper start,beginning with the favourite Armenia.This is where the insiders have an advantage as they will be able to witness the end product as it were on Monday morning,as opposed to the raw product below,even if it is a live performance. I would like to see a pianist on stage alongside violinists who can connect with the audience and lift this song,which luckily for Aram there's not so much to beat.Amongst those challenging for the crown Hungary has the best choreography so far;Sweden's and Romania's could both be improved.
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2014
  2. Steve_uk

Day 1's rehearsals saw the favourite Aram shrouded in a prism of purple light,seemingly alone onstage,taking me back to Johnny Logan's 1981 win of a solo male vocalist with no support. Whether this is the right strategy time will tell;let's just say it's risky. Sanna Nielsen's experience in the music industry showed from the start and justifies her second favourite status.
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2014
  3. Steve_uk

I've just seen the most marvellous choreography in the Norwegian entry,one which has lifted my spirits and restored my faith in humanity as the pianist accompanies four azure nymphs on an inclined dais drawing their bows high,the arco position then moving off with bow aloft to add drama to what is already a good song with a mediocre singer,the whole effect a paragon of how seriously all entrants should take the art. Were it to form part of the Armenian entry I would say all bets were off,and somebody associated with it should really look at them and wonder what might have been.
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2014
  4. Steve_uk

After Norway's choreographical triumph yesterday here is a warning from Israel on how not to do it. The song might just be strong enough to qualify in its own right,but I can't help thinking that the accompanists look like two tarts from a Hackney lap dancing club.
    Last edited: May 9, 2014
  5. Steve_uk

Here are the latest odds from Oddschecker: Outright: Armenia 2/1 Sweden 10/3 Denmark 10/1 Ukraine 14/1 UK 16/1.

You can never tell with Eurovision and I might easily put Norway in the top 3 to make a 123 combination.

Outright winner of Semi-final 1(Tuesday 6 May BBC 3 8pm) should be Armenia.
    Outright winner of Semi-final 2(Thursday 8 May BBC 3 8pm) should be Norway 1st Romania 2nd.
    Top Big 5 is not worth backing UK but Spain is worth a shot at 3/1.

The Final itself will be held on Saturday 10 May BBC1 8pm.
  6. Punter

Punter Moderator

I've had a lucky day on the horses Steve so it's time to put my bets on.

Armenia 20 @ 2.94 Betdaq
    Sweden 10 @ 100/30 Boylesports
    Denmark 5 E.W @ 9/1 Betvictor 1/4 1,2,3,4
    Norway 3 E.W @ 14/1 Betvictor 1/4 1,2,3,4
    Spain, top 10 finish, 10 @ 7/4 Skybet
  7. Steve_uk

I might be feeling a tad nervous after the favourite's second rehearsal.
  8. Punter

Punter Moderator

Jeez. That's the favourite? Glad i'm at a party.
  9. Steve_uk

Let's wait until the first semi-final. The main rival is Sweden,who have gone for similar choreography. The Islamic riff gives the melody a slight lilt,but I wonder if it's a winning song. Armenia's Aram has expressed anti-gay sentiments which may be unwise when you're trying to attract votes. Maybe this is a compromise year,in which case the door is opened for Norway or Denmark. The Hungarian guy is also a star and may pull a surprise.
    Last edited: May 4, 2014
  10. Steve_uk

The ten qualifiers from the first semi-final going through to Saturday's final are: Montenegro,Hungary,Russia,Armenia,Azerbaijan,San Marino,Ukraine,Sweden,Netherlands and Iceland. From tonight's performance I would guess that Sweden comes out top with Armenia lucky to get second. The next semi-final is on Thursday night on BBC 3 at 8:00pm.
  11. Steve_uk

The ten qualifiers from the second semi-final are: Switzerland,Slovenia,Poland,Romania,Norway,Greece,Malta,Belarus,Finland and Austria. This was a tougher contest than the first semi-final and a real shame for Ireland,whose entry did not transfer well to the big stage,and Israel,who might employ a decent choreographer for future occasions.
  12. Steve_uk

I see after last night's results with all Finalists now confirmed the bookies have got their knickers in a twist and don't know which way to turn. They have kept faith with their banker Sanna Nielsen as well they might,but have ditched anti-gay Aram who now stands at 8-1. They have backed the Netherlands like sheep to the ridiculous odds of 19/4 and shortened Austria to 7/2,another ridiculous bet as the transvestite angle was done in 1998. Personally I have bet on Norway and I'm still hoping with the costumes the girls wore in rehearsals(see ##63) and the right camera angles Carl Espen can win.http://www.oddschecker.com/tv/eurovision
    Last edited: May 10, 2014
  13. Steve_uk

14. SAMOAN

SAMOAN Moderator

Just had a few bets in running and the odds have certainly changed on a few of these -

HUNGARY @ 40's
    SPAIN @ 80's
    MALTA @ 100's
    NORWAY @ 250's

SAN MARINO were out at 1000's before she started so took that just in case. Quickly went to 500's and to be fair I have heard worse
    Last edited: May 10, 2014
  15. Kegman

Kegman Moderator

I liked Norway and Sweden. Cant see why the Netherlands are fancied - didnt like it. Hope Poland win just so we can see the washing ladies again :wank
  16. SAMOAN

SAMOAN Moderator

Hungary now at 7/2. Starting to look like a 4 horse race
  17. SAMOAN

SAMOAN Moderator

Fizzled out a bit in the end with Austria's " Act " winning quite easily.
  18. Steve_uk

It seemed like the bookies knew what they were doing after all,though very late in the day. The winning song wasn't bad as it went,but it was a joke year like those Russian grannies who sang out of tune a couple of years back yet managed to get the votes of so-called music professionals who now have a weighting of 50% of the votes. I disliked Conchita Wurst herself initially due to the name,which drew unnecessary attention to the sexual organ of which by definition she was devoid. The highlight of the contest for me was a dwarf perched on a ladder,who looked like a cross between Sid Little and Max Wall. Three presenters were superfluous and seemed to think they owned the show,which lasted half an hour longer than usual,and one can't help but think how many more acts they could have fitted into that time and done away with the two semi-final format.http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-27358560
    Last edited: May 13, 2014