1. Hi and welcome to Betnod. If you would like to view the forum without adverts then please register.

Eurovision Song Contest 2016

Discussion in 'Special & Novelty Betting' started by Steve_uk, Feb 18, 2016.

1. Steve_uk

Steve_uk Well-Known Member BANNED

Last edited: Mar 12, 2016
  2. Steve_uk

I don't think the English version of Albania's song has done them any favours.
  3. Steve_uk

A polished song from Azerbaijan which should qualify, though not a winner.
  4. Steve_uk

We are still waiting for a couple of laggards, including Ira Losco's Malta, who will sing Walk on Water now and not Chameleon. Bulgaria's Poli Genova will sing If Love Was A Crime, but both videos have yet to be released.

It might be worth taking a trip down memory lane to the pre-plastic surgery days of Ira Losco, when she was deprived of victory by the Eastern European and Balkan block vote.
  5. Steve_uk

Not forgetting Italy, whose entry won San Remo, but maybe a little too understated for Eurovision.
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2016
  6. Steve_uk

Another plagiarism row fomented and fortunately disspiated as the Eurovision authorities formally cleared the Swedish entry today.
  7. Steve_uk

Europhiles will approve of the latest video of the Austrian entry, Loin d'ici-Far from here, where a Dorothy Gale-like figure at harmony with nature follows her Yellow Brick Road in a quest to emulate and be reunited with her inamorato, who never materializes on screen. In an almost psychedelic quality our protagonist remains optimistic however, and will follow him to the end of the earth. Any neophytes in the French language may become confused with the translation of "je suis", which of course can mean "I follow" instead of the more common "I am".
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2016
  8. Steve_uk

I think it would be apposite to offer some support to Joe and Jake after Piers Morgan labelled this year's UK entry as trashy. Of course Piers would never be trashy himself, always being above the fray. The boys have nothing to lose and if they can keep their harmonies tight they should get credit for their singing and Jake's guitar-playing. Apparently they may have a trick up their sleeve and I might advise some kind of hologrammed parachute to fit the lyric, though I wouldn't blame them for remaining silent as at this stage people don't need to know, they don't need to know-oh-oh-oh-oh. http://www.standard.co.uk/stayingin...-trashy-on-good-morning-britain-a3202741.html
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2016
  9. Steve_uk

10. Steve_uk

We may as well take a look at the first Semi-final, scheduled for Tuesday 10 May. There are eighteen participating countries and ten places available for the Final, so eight countries to dispose of.

[​IMG] Armenia English Iveta Mukuchyan "LoveWave" —
    [​IMG] Croatia English Nina Kraljić "Lighthouse" —
    [​IMG] Finland English Sandhja "Sing It Away" —
    [​IMG] Greece English, Greek2 Argo "Utopian Land" —
    [​IMG] Hungary English Freddie "Pioneer" —
    [​IMG] Moldova English Lidia Isac "Falling Stars" —
    [​IMG] Netherlands English Douwe Bob "Slow Down" —
    [​IMG] Russia English Sergey Lazarev "You Are the Only One" —
    [​IMG] San Marino English Serhat "I Didn't Know" —
    Second half
    [​IMG] Austria French Zoë "Loin d'ici" Far from here
    [​IMG] Azerbaijan English Samra "Miracle" —
    [​IMG] Bosnia and Herzegovina Bosnian Dalal & Deen feat. Ana Rucner and Jala "Ljubav je" Love is
    [​IMG] Cyprus English Minus One "Alter Ego" —
    [​IMG] Czech Republic English Gabriela Gunčíková "I Stand" —
    [​IMG] Estonia English Jüri Pootsmann "Play" —
    [​IMG] Iceland English Greta Salóme "Hear Them Calling" —
    [​IMG] Malta English Ira Losco "Walk on Water" —
    [​IMG] Montenegro English Highway "The Real Thing" —

If we take the strongest entries first. I have Russia, Croatia, Armenia and Hungary as my definites. This leaves six more places, and I have chosen Azerbaijan, Cyprus, Netherlands, Austria, Estonia and Czech Republic. Relegated therefore in my reckoning are San Marino, Greece, Moldova, Malta, Finland, Iceland, Montenegro and Bosnia and Herzegovina.
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2016
    Colbro likes this.
  11. Steve_uk

I'm working on the second Semi-final, and whilst waiting for Bulgaria to declare on Monday am looking at some live performances which might just tip the artists into qualification. The first one amongst these is Lithuania, and hats off to Donatas Montvydas, or Donny Montell as his professed stage name, for making the most of a poor song.

Also looking at this group of death we have Dami Im for Australia, and even though I had reservations about whether the song was right for her she should have the stage presence to carry off qualification, going off this clip:
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2016
  12. Steve_uk

Nine countries are for the chop in this group, and Denmark is not safe.
  13. Steve_uk

14. Steve_uk

Here is the Bulgarian entry as promised. I am not overly impressed. http://www.eurovision.tv/page/news?id=bulgaria_premiere_of_if_love_was_a_crime

It might be better to wait for the rehearsals before betting, but here are my tips for non-qualification: Belarus, Israel, Georgia, Bulgaria, FYR Macedonia, Serbia, Belgium, Switzerland, Ireland.

I would recommend Belarus's Ivan to help Moldova's Lidia to learn how to fly to the stars..
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2016
  15. Steve_uk

Last edited: Mar 22, 2016
  16. Steve_uk

It's looking more like a two-horse race between Croatia and Russia, though we will have to reserve judgement on Nina Krajlić until London's Eurovision Party on April 17. There is a live performance of her singing abilities here, though:

and here's Sergey:
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2016
  17. Steve_uk

18. Steve_uk

19. Steve_uk

Looking at the betting today I see the following: Russia 17/10 France 10/1 Australia 12/1 Sweden 12/1 Ukraine 17/1. You can view the latest odds here: http://www.oddschecker.com/tv/eurovision/winner

I don't think anyone would argue with Russia as the likely winner. I still have Croatia as top 5 and the odds will shorten after the London Eurovision Party next week. You can see the putative French revamp which has them currently second favourite, but with those Easter chicks flouncing aimlessly around the stage I wonder what the critics are raving about:

Australia is more difficult to judge as we are still waiting for a live performance of a song which doesn't suit this Shirley Bassey-type artist. Here's Sweden though:

I still have Latvia ahead of Sweden:

Armenia could get top 5.
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2016
  20. Steve_uk

At last we have a live performance of the Australian entry, and it's such a shame that natural extrovert Dami Im was not around in the Eurovision days of the full orchestra and is left to sing what is in effect an introspective song.