1. Hi and welcome to Betnod. If you would like to view the forum without adverts then please register.

FIFA give goal-line technology the go ahead

Discussion in 'Sports Talk' started by ONEDUNME, Jul 5, 2012.

1. ONEDUNME

ONEDUNME Administrator

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18719396

Premier League could use goal-line technology in 2012-13

Comments (144)
    Goal-line technology could be introduced in the Premier League midway through the 2012-13 season after it was approved by the International Football Association Board (IFAB) in Zurich.
    Two systems - Hawk-Eye and GoalRef - have passed Fifa's criteria for use.
    The technology will first be used at December's Fifa Club World Cup and, if successful, at the 2013 Confederations Cup and 2014 World Cup.
    How does Hawk-Eye work?
    Hawk-Eye's system works by using six cameras, focusing on each goal, to track the ball on the pitch.

The system's software then uses "triangulation" to pinpoint the exact location of the ball.

If it crosses the goal-line an encrypted radio signal is sent to the referee's wristwatch to indicate a goal has been scored.

In line with Fifa's requirements, the whole process takes less than a second to complete.

The Premier League said it wanted it "as soon as practically possible."
    A statement following IFAB's announcement added: "The Premier League has been a long-term advocate of goal-line technology.
    "We welcome today's decision by IFAB and will engage in discussions with both Hawk-Eye and GoalRef in the near future with a view to introducing goal-line technology as soon as is practically possible."
    FA general secretary Alex Horne said it was up to the Premier League to decide on a timescale for implementation.
    "It may be December until the technology is absolutely finally approved and installed in stadia," he said at a press conference in Zurich. "Priority is given to the Fifa Club World Cup in Japan.
    "The Premier League need to talk to the two [technology providers] and the clubs. My understanding is that clubs are supportive and, in principle, as long as all clubs agree it could be introduced part-way through the season, it could be before the start of 2013-14 season, it could be part way through.
  2. Pete89

Pete89 Active Member

Apparently its going to be 13-14 they introduce it. To be honest its shocking its taken so long.

Although will they review every goal or will it be a challenge system like tennis/NFL?
  3. rcgills

rcgills Moderator

Doesn't sound like they'll need to have a challenge system, the ref will automatically be notified if the ball crosses the line

4. slick

slick Administrator

I'd take it a step further and also use technology for offside when any goal is scored, it too would only take a couple of seconds but happens a lot more regular than a 50/50 ball crossing the line.
  5. rcgills

rcgills Moderator

Not sure it'd really be workable for offside decisions, Slick - the decision needs to be virtually instant, and as far as I'm aware there isn't currently technology that can let you view a replay and check for offside in the space of a second or two.

You could maybe use it to rule out goals that shouldn't have been allowed to stand due to an offside. But for any offside that was given by the lino, every time it was a dubious offside decision, you'd have to let play go on regardless, while the replays were consulted, just in case the player was actually onside, then if he was offside, call play back and cancel out anything that had happened in the meantime.
  6. slick

slick Administrator

I mean when the referee or linesman is not 100% sure, at the moment they are forced into a corner and have to give a decision on the spot, if either are unsure as to whether a goal is offside or not i woulld let them call time out and send it upstairs.
    A tv camera would pick it up in a matter of seconds.
    There would be no play on as it would only be used when a dubious goal was scored and at the referee's discretion.
  7. ONEDUNME

ONEDUNME Administrator

I think Slick is saying check for offside only when a goal is scored RC but you can see the uproar that that would cause. A linesman flags for offside when a player is just about to fire into an open net and a team feel cheated - ten minutes later they score a goal and the TV check shows that the same Lino has missed an offside so the goal is chalked off. Hardly justice is it?

You either have to have technology for all offsides or none and, as you say, having it for all offsides is unworkable.

To be honest, they should start off by standardising the way injury time is calculated in my view. The euros were a fucking joke with games with zero minutes added on when clearly should have been and how many times have we seen arguments in our leagues when goals are scored in time that should never have been played?

If a ref decides there is two minutes stoppage time and tni further time is wasted then two minutes it should be and no more. The line that there are 30 seconds added for each sub is clearly bollocks that some commentator high on crack cocaine dreamed up one crazy booze fuelled night because it has no basis in the real world.
  8. slick

slick Administrator

Excellent point but I think a lot of that goes on because the linesman is unsure, if he knew he could play on and the play would be scrutinised if a goal were to be scored then he would play on in most situations.​
  9. rcgills

rcgills Moderator

But how far are you prepared to play on before potentially looking at a replay? With your situation with the linesman who's not sure and so plays on, OK fair enough, if the potentially offside player goes and scores, you can call play back while you look at the replay. But what if that player's shot is turned behind for a corner. That corner is headed straight behind for another corner, and from that 2nd corner, they score. By the time that second corner is taken, maybe 90 seconds have passed since the original offside that was let go, but the goal has still come as a result of that player not being given offside.

Do you still review that offside decision? And if you do review it and subsequently disallow the goal, then the ref's going to need an extra watch to be timing how long passes from the potential offside until the time play is eventually stopped. A game with a few contentious decisions like that and you could potentially be looking at having to play 10 minutes added time at the end due to all the time that you have to had on for all the "cancelled" play.
  10. slick

slick Administrator

I would only use the 'camera upstairs' when a goal is scored RC.

If the players shot is turned behind for a corner and the ball is then headed straight into the net then hard luck as its a different passage of play, I'm talking about goals that come direct from illegal play.