1. Hi and welcome to Betnod. If you would like to view the forum without adverts then please register.

Iceland

Discussion in 'Eurovision 2012 Betting' started by Gavster, Feb 11, 2012.

1. Gavster

Gavster Novelty & Proud

Greta Salóme & Jónsi will represent Iceland with 'Mundu Eftir Mér'.

Attached Files:

2. Steve_uk

Steve_uk Well-Known Member BANNED

What a pity the piano didn't develop, which would have distinguished it from so many of these previous Nordic entries,and all we ended up with was Nicky Campbell's cardboard cut-out son,silhouetted by some superfluous sinister figures..touches of Norway 1995 and 2009,and Serbia and Montenegro 2004,but no originality..
  3. MickeyPaul

MickeyPaul Merry Christmas!

I think he looks like Darren Day. Here's what I said on escbet.com anyway:

I find it sort of a rip-off of a lot of the better Eurovision songs last few years which is a shame. I would definitely put this down as a contender though. Can’t stand that guy (bit smug). but they do sing brilliantly together. Yeah. Strong singers. Strong everything in Eurovision terms for me.
    I give it the thumbs up. Even the entire fist up. Oooer.

In for another listen. The song is really pretty ordinary isn’t it? I think I’m more impressed by their vocals and the tried and tested big drums and fiddles.

It’s a top tenner I think on paper, even this early. Scribble it down methinks.
  4. MickeyPaul

Possibly the first time I've ever agreed with you Steve. Your standards must be slipping.
  5. Beanie

Beanie Active Member

I love this overly dramatic nonsense, all so serious when I bet they're actually singing about how he can't find his other sock or something.

It's difficult to judge because it depends entirely on the presentation, they'll need to pander to the Eurovision morons and wrap it up as some kind of story so that the ADHD riddled voters dont lose interest.
  6. Archi

Archi Member

Agreed, a very likely top ten performance right there. With awesome draw even top4 is doable me thinks!

I also think this is the best song from SF1 so far. I know there are still 5 countries to decide their song, but need to stay alert with semifinal winnigs bets when all songs have been chosen :p

Iceland has been solid in semis previous years. Yohanna won his semi in 2009, 2010 they were third, and last year fourth. Thoughts?
  7. MickeyPaul

:lol He was one sexy bitch I recall.
  8. Archi

Archi Member

Yes sir! Very fine young lady indeed!
  9. Archi

Archi Member

I heard they will change the language to English for Baku? I really hate that idea, but presumably that's what they are doing.. And I'm afraid they are ruining a beautiful song in the process. Shit. :(
  10. Gavster

Gavster Novelty & Proud

It'll translate into more votes for them. Icelandic - well any scandi language - rarely does well in these modern times. It's a cracking song that now stands a chance.
  11. Archi

Archi Member

OK, so they decided to go with English. I dont know what to think of it.. Probably makes it more likely to succeed (top10 material for sure, even top4 if jury goes for this, which I think is very possible)

I personally like the Icelandic version better though.

Someone will probably update the OP, but here it is:

12. Steve_uk

I still think the first minute is wasted,the singing is adequate but not brilliant,and the 18 second pause in the middle will not work on the night..I have Sweden, Slovakia,Norway,Denmark,Azerbaijan and Estonia ahead of this.
  13. Archi

Archi Member

The pause is probably not gonna be there in Baku, right? It's too long with the pause isnt it? without it it's pretty much what it has to be.
  14. Gavster

Gavster Novelty & Proud

That pause is for artistic effect in the video only. C'mon Steve, wakey wakey.

I wouldn't have Estonia ahead of Iceland. Estonia is a boring drone. Emotional, yes. But boring, grey and dull. Sometime you come out with the most bizarre statements during Eurovision, Steve. I know each person is entitled to their opinion, but it's Eurovision you seem even less informed about. :thinking
  15. Steve_uk

I've seen this type of Nordic entry so many times I've lost count-her emotions are congealed and he has to defrost, this time with the help of the Fyfe Robertson backing singer and three other shadowy figures..that reminds me,my ice cream cornet is waiting..why isn't the final note tenuto..because they're only mediocre singers..as for Estonia,I think there's a possibility to improve the song with another instrumentalist on stage,and given a late run order it might evoke a calming atmosphere and entice the voters-it's top 10 anyway given the field this year.
  16. Steve_uk

Sorry the backing singer reminds me of Brian Blessed,not Fyfe..confusing when the original video has been removed.
  17. Gavster

Gavster Novelty & Proud

Steve, what's this got to do with Iceland?
  18. Steve_uk

Sorry nothing,you may remove. The tenuous link was Alex Salmond co-operating with the Nordic countries..
  19. Rob44

Rob44 Member

very dramatic, if a might overblown? is the video trying to evoke 'Let the Right One In' (great vampire movie btw), but i digress - this is another strong entry. are the nordic countries in danger of splitting their vote like last year? this is quite powerful - strings go down really well at eurovision. is there a live version of this, as i'd like to assess the live vocal. i'm not too worried about the pause i see they have 21s to play with so are likely to shorten it and give it more oomph.
  20. Archi

Archi Member

Strings doo well, and man-woman duos have been doing good. The only worry I have is strong entries from nordic countries. Like you said, split vote might be an issue. And someone like Serbia might have a figthting chance...