1. Hi and welcome to Betnod. If you would like to view the forum without adverts then please register.

My Win98 laptop is now dead So is this any good???

Discussion in 'Tech and Info' started by Betfly, Oct 7, 2011.

1. Betfly

Betfly Member

I'm looking at getting a new laptop & Hotdeals UK has this ,

Any good , (my budget will be £400)

Also youtube today announce that FULL LENGTH movies can be watched (1,000 up ther so far apparently)
    http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/ace...ws-7-laptop-as5750-2413g64mnkk-1031717?page=3

Acer Aspire 5750 / Core i5-2410M / 3GB / 640GB / 15.6 inch / Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit / Laptop / Notebook / Black LX.RLY02.096

AS5750-2413G64Mnkk

Manufacturer: Acer
    [​IMG]Write a review

£379.99 Free delivery
    RRP £479.99 Save £100.00
    BUY

In StockSold by Play.com
  2. Betfly

Betfly Member

Slick this any good?

I'll be using this with premier pro video editing, (got a copy from b-inlaw & need 64bit W7 to run it)
  3. slick

slick Administrator

I've seen a lot better than that m8 for the price, best place to go is Hotukdeals and look in their computer section, they will have all the best deals, the thermometer gives you an idea of how good a deal it is, if its red all the way to the top its a scortcher, they had a better laptop than that last week for about £270 quid.
  4. slick

slick Administrator

ahh i see its an i5 and that link is from Hotukdeals:lol

fcuk i need to stop drinking.
  5. slick

slick Administrator

What are you going to be using it for Betfly?
  6. Betfly

Betfly Member

i was halfway through a post telling you it's HOTDEALS!!!

You got me addicted to that site! the shit i've bought coz it's cheap....

Anyway having chucked the habit I then neede a new laptop & back to hotdeals .

Trying not to buy anything other than a LAPTOP!!
  7. Betfly

Betfly Member

You need to stop driinking !!!

POst #2

I'll be using this with premier pro video editing, (got a copy from b-inlaw & need 64bit W7 to run it)
  8. slick

slick Administrator

by the way that is a good laptop, i first read it as an i3, the only thing wrong with acer is that they get mixed reviews, you either love em or hate them.
    I'm using an MSI at the moment and its been brilliant, at the same time i bought this both the wife and daughter bought Samsungs as they used to be quality build, not anymore both their laptops and they are diffrent models are now practically fit for the bin.
  9. Betfly

Betfly Member

that 's birdz though, them & technology do not go.

I;ve got 6 neices & between them this year have destroyed 8 laptops (rtb several times & one had a milkshake over it (she also dropped her phone in a milkshake too/ thrown against the wall etc...)
  10. slick

slick Administrator

I've just been comparing a few machines and I can't see that spec being beaten even on the refurbs, Talking of which I've bought a couple of refurbs from argos ebay outlet and they have been as good as new, but even on there nothing compares to that for an i5, nearest i could see is this with 6gb of ram but a smaller hard disk.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ACER-ASPI...t=UK_Computing_Laptops_EH&hash=item53e97b3d92

for the price the play.com machine looks a better deal.
  11. Betfly

Betfly Member

:beer Slick
    i saw those mixed reviews but whatever machine I looked at there's always someone bemoaning it!
    Just have to take the plunge as Premier Pro will not run on W98!
  12. slick

slick Administrator

Out of what I've just seen I'd go for it, it's Brand spanking new so it comes with a full warranty anyhow and from experience most faults are usually user based due to human error, acer sell a lot of machines so obviously more people are going to moan.

Compared to a windows 98 laptop you won't know whats hit you.
  13. Betfly

Betfly Member

Only problem i have is it will not run my dos programs....

superdb !
  14. slick

slick Administrator

Some of the best games ever were made with Dos. Out of all the games i have ever played games like PGA Tour, Silent Service, Monkey Island, Doom were all made with DOS and amongst my all time favourites.

B4 that it was gorillas chucking fcuking bananas on the bbc b.
  15. winrew

winrew GILF

I have a Acer Aspire 5740 , decent laptop , motherboard went in it after 18 months , got it repaired by them for free as well..
  16. slick

slick Administrator

17. dudesenior

dudesenior New Member

yep...looks like a great deal
  18. Betfly

Betfly Member

i've still not taken the plunge gor a new laptop.

Just as i'm about to pull the trigger to purchase I see it cheaper elsewhere then more spec etc.......

Indecisive cunt me!:eek:
  19. Betfly

Betfly Member

Is this one good?

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/ace...5-6-inch-laptop-499-99-argos-1053370#comments
    Expires: 18/11/2011
    Acer Core i7 4GB 500GB 15.6 Inch Laptop.

Looking for a fantastic HD 15.6inch widescreen with the ability to view all your favourite photos and video in amazing definition? Then you need the Acer Core i7 laptop. With an amazing 500GB hard drive, 4GB RAM and an Intel HD 3000 graphics card you'll have an amazing amount of storage for pretty much anything including endless amounts of photos, video and music.

CPU and Memory:
    Intel Core i7 2630QM.
    2.7GHz processor speed.
    4GB memory.
    500GB hard drive.

Display features:
    15.6 inch display.
    High definition display.
    Resolution 1366 x 768 pixels.

DVD optical drives:
    Dual layer.

Graphics:
    Intel HD3000 graphics card.

Interfaces and connectivity:
    2-in-1 media card reader.
    3 USB ports.
    1 HDMI port.
    Wi-Fi enabled.

Multi-media features:
    1.3MP HD built-in webcam.

Operating system and software:
    Microsoft Windows 7 Premium.

General features:
    Up to 4.5 hours battery life.
    Size H3.32, W38.16, D25.3cm.
    Weight 2.6kg.
  20. Gavster

Gavster Novelty & Proud

Betfly, I wouldn't buy anything made by Acer. I've heard a few things that suggest they are prone to malfunctions, hence why some are majorly over spec for what seems a reasonable price.

My brother had an Acer that suffered from a few reliability issues. But my brother has worked his way through 3 laptops, including my old Vaio, which is now missing the letter 'L' and is terminally ill from what is described as the Blue Screen of Death.

I'm looking at getting a new laptop after Christmas to replace my desktop, which is grinding to a halt after years of abuse from running AutoCAD, 3dsMax and Photoshop. Even though I mostly use my laptop for internet, I do sometimes dip into those previously mentioned programs, so I'm going to buy an i7 quad-core that'll keep me going for the next 5 years.

So far, I've narrowed it down to a HP model, which on paper looks impressive.
    http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/hp-pavilion-dv7-6154ea-17-3-laptop-steel-grey-10783805-pdt.html

I guess it depends on what you need the system for Betfly. To get to my choice, I've searched every shop for what I deemed to be the best value. I would never buy another Vaio for instance. I've looked a 3-4 must haves: i7 processor, 8gb RAM, large HD and decent clock speed. When I have found those characteristics, I've searched web reviews to root out any dodgy models.

Looking at the system you've selected, I'd say, 'buy cheap, buy twice'.