1. Hi and welcome to Betnod. If you would like to view the forum without adverts then please register.

Non league day tomorrow.

Discussion in 'Sports Talk' started by slick, Sep 6, 2013.

1. slick

slick Administrator

Fancy a free day out at the footy..

The excellent 'Non League Day' is this Saturday. A perfect opportunity for you to go and watch and support some local footy as the Prem League and League games are not on this weekend due to the Internationals.

On the left there's an option to enter your postcode to find the nearest games to you on Non-League Day.

All matches kick off at 3pm on Sat 7th September unless otherwise stated

Non-League Day was set up by James Doe in 2010 as a social media experiment, after being inspired by a pre-season trip to Devon to watch Queens Park Rangers play at Tavistock. It has now grown to become an annual part of the football calendar, backed by Premier League and Football League clubs, MPs, celebrities, media organisations, charities and most importantly the non-league clubs themselves and the fans that decide to turn up on the day.

Always scheduled to coincide with an international break, Non-League Day gives fans across the country the chance to see what's going on at a club that might be on their doorstep which they may be unfamiliar with or even knew existed.

Many non-league clubs are almost exclusive volunteer run, with money taken at the turnstiles often funding thriving youth set-ups, projects and facilities which are of benefit to the whole community. The level of skill on offer at non-league grounds will never compare to that at the Emirates Stadium or Old Trafford, for example, but there are other sides to the experience, from which the smaller club will always win hands down.

For many supporters of non-league football it's the sense of belonging and preservation of traditional values that remains so appealing. The vast majority of games still kick off at 3pm, ticket prices are realistic, you can often stand anywhere in the ground and will always be guaranteed a warm welcome by people who run their clubs for a love of the game.

Non-League Day isn't about supporting just another team, it's about supporting grassroots football which will ensure the foundations of the game in this country stay strong. Moreover, Non-League Day is a celebration of the diversity, passion and commitment that makes football in this country so popular and enduring.

http://www.nonleagueday.co.uk/map.html
  2. ONEDUNME

ONEDUNME Administrator

Get fucked. I'd rather go fucking shopping than watch some of that shit.

Our local club charges a bastard fortune and I've never, ever seen a decent game there other than the local Saturday and Sunday league cup finals that they host that charge you a quid or two to get in.

Fucking dreadful. If I won the lottery I'd tarmac the fucking place and leave it empty.
  3. ONEDUNME

ONEDUNME Administrator

Does anybody actually believe that shit. It's about time some people woke up and realised that if non league football ended tomorrow, it wouldn't make one iota of difference to the two top leagues in the country. The percentage of players who make their way up from non league to the Premiership must be miniscule (and diminishing year on year). The term "grass roots" is a misnomer. It's not the "roots" of football in this country, what it is is a totally different game to watch. Some people prefer it to watching the top leagues and nobody can deny that there is more passion in the players, most of whom actually want to play the game instead of turning up for the money (most - not all). But anyone who says that the cheating, diving and conning the ref only goes on at the top end of the game is either lying or deluded. There are as many cheating bastards at the lowest level as there are at the highest.

I think I'll go to B&Q
  4. slick

slick Administrator

Everyone to their own, I'm booked in to watch the White Swan v The golden sausage.
  5. ONEDUNME

ONEDUNME Administrator

SteveUK will probably see you there then. I'm sure I heard him say he loves the golden sausage