1. Hi and welcome to Betnod. If you would like to view the forum without adverts then please register.

Rugby League World Cup 2017

Discussion in 'Other Sports Betting' started by SAMOAN, Oct 27, 2017.

1. SAMOAN

SAMOAN Moderator

Was on of those who got up at 5 am to watch it live ( flicking across to the cricket occasionally of course ) Did not come on Saturday as did not want to put up any " spoilers " and then completely forgot to comment. Certainly quite a finish and really do not get why both of Gareth Widdop's last 2 kick off's were able to be fielded on the full at around the " 20 " and returned with interest. For me the ball has to either hit the ground or be landing in the in goal area. To be fair to Tonga, they could have scored at any point in he game and for 73 mins the English defence was excellent.

James Graham and James Roby both had great games and indeed on one Tongan Break JG ( a forward ) was charging back and was able to influence the play right on his own goal line. For me, the attack is better with Roby at hooker over Josh Hodgson and with the latter's injury " Robes " looks likely to play the full 80. Also in doubt for England is captain Sean O'Loughlin, who lasted just 38 minutes of the semi-final before leaving with a quad strain. Do feel there is enough leadership in the squad to overcome this, but would be interested to see who gets his spot.

Australia always a tough nut to crack, but believed we could beat them before the group game and still feel this way. If Watkins, McGillvary, Gale, Roby, Graham and Alex Walmsley all play well then they will cause a ton of problems. Defensively, if we can keep our discipline and can scramble effectively when needed, then I think we can again keep them to under 20 and if we do then the fire power is definitely there.
  2. slick

slick Administrator

I was just going to bed then lol so had to tape it but watched it as soon as I got up before turning on any radios or putting the internet on.

I thought we defended superbly too until those final minutes when we just crumbled when Tonga got their tails up, if that's down to lack of fitness then I'm fearing the worse against the Aussies.
    I hope you're right in that we can cause them lots of problems, I was thinking on similar lines before those final 7 minutes but didn't know what to make of it at the final whistle.

I'll give Hodgson his dues though, he tried his best to play on with a torn ACL, I was impressed with Roby too, I just hope he turns up for the final because he's always had it him in to be world class but failed to deliver quite a few times for England.
  3. SAMOAN

SAMOAN Moderator

The RL 2017 World Cup Final kicks off at 9am ( our time ) Saturday Morning, with England battling Australia. The green and gold look to have settled on their line up, but England still sweating on the fitness of Captain Sean O' Loughlin. Best price I have seen for England to win in 80 minutes is 7/1, whilst they are around the 11/2 mark to lift the trophy. Do feel the game will be close, so tempted by the 11/2.

Kallum Watkins is definitely a " strike centre " and whilst he has been a bit quiet this tournament, does carry a threat with ball in hand and rates a big price to be first tryscorer at 20's. I am assuming that James Graham will start and providing he does, 80's looks a huge price to cross the line 1st.
    slick likes this.
  4. SAMOAN

SAMOAN Moderator

Sean O'Loughlin has been declared unfit and so Sam Burgess will captain the side. Positionally Burgess will move to Loose Forward, with Ben Currie starting in the Second Row and Full-Back / Emergency Hooker / Half Back Jonny Lomax coming on to the bench.
  5. slick

slick Administrator

Good luck with your bets Samoan, I'm not as confident as you regarding Englands chances but hope you're right, I've got a sinking feeling we're gonna get mullered lol.

I'm looking forward to the game though, in what should be a cracking atmosphere.
  6. SAMOAN

SAMOAN Moderator

Final just about to kick off, Live on BBC1. Weather looks set fair and hoping for a positive result.
  7. SAMOAN

SAMOAN Moderator

Finished 6-0 to Australia. Low scoring, but my no means boring and the English certainly had their chances. No really bad performances for me, but not sure that Luke Gale and Kevin Brown are international halves. Right decision to have Jonny Lomax on the bench, but would have also found room for George Williams. Threat mainly came down our right and when we did go left Gareth Widdop often joined in from full back, but rarely released his centre. John Bateman's positioning looked OK, but he is not a centre by trade and maybe this is why he did not get enough attacking ball. Irrespective of how he played, not convinced you can play a guy out of position in a World Cup final, especially when you have a top class centre in the squad in the shape of Mark Percival.

Overall the tourney was a success especially with the performances of the " Island Nations ". Hopefully in 4 years the French will have made strides and the Irish will have developed those one or two quality players that they are currently lacking. Wales and Scotland have more ground to make up, but the next Tournament is over here, so presumably they will get some " home " games which will be a big help.
    slick likes this.
  8. slick

slick Administrator

Thoroughly enjoyed the game even though it was low scoring, just a pity England couldn't conjure something up in the last 20 meters, there always seemed to be a mistake or lack of ideas.
    There was also a great chance at the death, just a pity that last kick didn't go inside where there was a couple of England players waiting and unmarked.
  9. SAMOAN

SAMOAN Moderator

James Roby 56 tackles, none missed and 208 for the tournament, one behind the overall top tackler Elliot Whitehead, who had 209. Graham was 3rd with 196.

Plenty of stick went to Luke Gale for the kick you mentioned Slick ( early in the tackle count ), but did not mind it myself as it was definitely on. Guess its one of those where you are a genius if it works or an idiot if it doesn't.
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2017