1. Hi and welcome to Betnod. If you would like to view the forum without adverts then please register.

Seen's big eye on the little world...

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Seen, Jul 3, 2017.

1. Seen

Seen Moderator

2. ONEDUNME

ONEDUNME Administrator

apparently theyve gone into a police station and given themselves up so wewill see what happens
  3. Seen

Seen Moderator

Yeah, they got identified so probably didn't have much choice. I just can't get my head around why anyone would do this, it's not just like telling a Grenfell joke, they've obviously spent a fair amount of time and effort to build the thing, mocking people who have burned to death, quite a few of them little kiddies an'all.

I'm all for free speech and, as I think you all know, I'm a big fan of sick/near-the-knuckle jokes, but even I'm offended by this stunt (so it must be fucking bad) :lol
    slick and SAMOAN like this.
  4. rcgills

rcgills Moderator

Sure, they're heartless bastards, and like you I can't understand why anyone would do something like that. But being a heartless bastard isn't a crime. Have they actually broken any laws? Where is the line drawn (legally speaking, not morally)? Is it OK to burn an effigy of Boris Johnson/Donald Trump/etc.

Just to be clear, I'm not in any way defending them or what they did, they seem like a bunch of twats, but I can't really see how it's a police matter.
    SAMOAN likes this.
  5. ONEDUNME

ONEDUNME Administrator

I think it will down to how it got onto the internet . That will probably be key. You can stay in your bedroom and shout about someone being a gay nigger as loud as you like if that if you want to but the minute aomeome next door or outside hears is then you risk causing offence.

If they asmit they’ve filmed it with the intention of sharing it with a wider audience (even if it is only with a few friends)then i think they’ll be hammered. If they say they filmed it for their own viewing and “entertainment” I don’t see that as an offence in law - not that im an expert.

As RC says, people say and so offensive things about DT everyday and it’s laughed off but many are vile and nasty and likely to cause offense.

Who decides what is acceptable and what is punishable
    SAMOAN likes this.
  6. rcgills

rcgills Moderator

But is it a criminal offence to cause offence to someone? The problem is, we're living in the age of the permanently offended. You only have to look at the "news" (I use the word in its broadest possible sense - you know, Daily Mail, Yahoo, that kind of stuff) every day to see the latest shitstorm raised in Twitter over the slightest little thing. Whatever you say, whatever you do, someone somewhere is going to take offence. Like you say at the end of your post, who decides what is acceptable and what is punishable?

For this Grenfell Tower/bonfire business (and in most situations, I suspect, although if I actually stop and think about it I might think of some situations where I change my mind), the only people I think can really take offence are those who were personally involved in some way, whether that be losing friends/family, involved in the rescue operation, involved in cleaning up afterwards, picking up the pieces for those who survived, whatever. In the aforementioned Twitter shitstorms, you see people getting offended on others' behalf - white people getting offended at some supposedly racist incident (against black people), all the stuff Seen posted a while back about "mansize" tissues, etc. Can you take offence at something that's not aimed at you personally? I don't find the bonfire incident offensive. Very poor taste, yes, but not offensive to me personally.

No offence intended to Seen, who said he was offended :embarassed
    SAMOAN likes this.
  7. ONEDUNME

ONEDUNME Administrator

But is it a criminal offence to cause offence to someone?

Yes it is. It is an offence to use behaviour that causes another person harrassment, alarm or distress. If this isn't an example of something that would distress the relatives and survivors of the tower fire then, frankly, I don't know what is.

In my view (and as I said, I know fuck all about the law) their only defence is that this was never intended to get outside of the domain of those that took part and therefore any offence (and therefore, any offence if you see what I mean) is an unfortunate byproduct.

Which would raise the question of, could someone who set out to cause offence in future do something deliberately and make sure that it went onto the internet "accidentally" and use the same defence.

I don't know, it's a fucking minefield. As you say RC, people find ways to be offended every single day but few of them ever come to court. Some of those cases are going to be borderline and come down to an individual's point of view as to whether they justify legal action. I'm willing to bet that this particular one though would have the overwhelming public opinion that it can be judged as offensive, if not to everyone, at the very list to the people that you've already listed, which is enough in my view to make it an offence.

As I said though, for me it will come down to their explanation of how it was made public. If one of those that took part uploaded it to facebook then I think they'll get fucked with a big stick.
    SAMOAN likes this.
  8. rcgills

rcgills Moderator

Fair enough.

But more hypothetical doubts. If the offence is "behaviour that causes another person harrassment, alarm or distress", imagine (as you've suggested) that the people who recorded it didn't intend it to go public like it has. They show it to one friend, who finds it hilarious and decides to post it up on Facebook, at which point it goes viral. Is it then that one friend whose behaviour has caused harrassment, alarm or distress to the people involved with Grenfell, rather than the ones who had the bonfire? What share of the blame goes to those who share the video and forward it on to their friends?
  9. slick

slick Administrator

Bleeding numpties, looking at the England flag fluttering in the background wouldn't be surprised if it was some EDL members because it was definitely pre-orchestrated to upset and grab attention.
    I don't know what the law is on it but they obviously think they can't be touched otherwise the idiots wouldn't have posted it online, then bottled it and handed themselves in when they saw the shit hit the fan.

They'll be charged one way or another because it's now too big a story to brush under the carpet without public outrage.
  10. Seen

Seen Moderator

11. slick

slick Administrator

NINTCHDBPICT000447331023.jpg

'Cops were today seen rooting through the bins outside his house'

That's going a bit fcuking overboard imo considering you have to be murdered nowadays before they'll even respond.
    What are they looking for, a cardboard Helicopter?.
  12. Seen

Seen Moderator

:lol

Yeah, it's like if you get burgled a couple of disinterested cops will show up 4 days later (if you're lucky) to tell you there's nothing they can do, yet tweet something racist/homophobic/transphobic/misogynistic and they'll be smashing your door down in minutes :)
    slick likes this.
  13. Seen

Seen Moderator

Just been reading about the case of Asia Bibi, a Christian woman in Pakistan who has spent the last 9 years on death row after being accused and found guilty (with no evidence, just hearsay from a couple of bigoted Muslims with a grudge against her) of criticising Muhammed - well worth a read. What vile, backward people these are :mad:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...stan-court-overturns-blasphemy-death-sentence

...this is the original report from 2011...

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2011/jan/08/salmaan-taseer-blasphemy-pakistan-bibi
  14. Seen

Seen Moderator

'Hate crime' ...... for fucks sake :mad::mad::mad:

[​IMG]
    slick likes this.
  15. rcgills

rcgills Moderator

"My father was a tutor to overseas students" - as excuses go, it's no "Some of my best friends are black", is it?

Not that it makes this incident any more of a hate crime, of course, but still.
  16. slick

slick Administrator

That nearly happened to me last week lol.
    I went to fill up at Asdas and because it had gone 8pm only the two pay with card pumps were switched on, which were in a single lane.

Both were occupied but the silly cunt using the pump nearest to the queue of cars waiting had parked about 5 ft from the pump so that when the first car had filled up and fcuked off nobody could get past the car to access the first pump.
    The later car was occupied by two asian fella's who thought it was a good idea to get out of the car and have a good ole chinwag while filling up the car with constant hands off and off the pump while talking.
    After about 5 mins they eventually put the pump back in it's holster then still had a chinwag for another couple of minutes before getting in the car, then another chinwag whilst in the car while the queue was building as was my blood pressure.

The car did eventually leave and I must have been about a millisecond from leaving my car and ripping the cunts doors off and it had nothing to do with them being Asian but all to do with them being a couple of ignorant pricks.
    Seen likes this.