1. Hi and welcome to Betnod. If you would like to view the forum without adverts then please register.

Slow burning pension plan

Discussion in 'Other Sports Betting' started by swooperman, Jul 7, 2012.

1. swooperman

swooperman Resident nob

Long term territory here, so long term Betfair havent even got a market for it.

England seem to have finally got their acts together regarding targetting the ICC Cricket World Cup. Its a trophy theyve never won. They defend the 20/20 World Cup this autumn in Sri Lanka & I think they're worth a punt there, but there's a bit more luck involved in that & although weve won it, I dont think we're as value as we are in the 50 over format.
    Its played in Australia in early 2015. We're obviously targetting it as we've talked the Aussies into playing back to back Ashes next year so as its not in the same winter, a problem that has plagued us before, meaning a tired squad.
    We're all over the Aussies like a rash at the moment. They are experimenting with their side, yet I dont see ours changing much in the next 3 years. Nobody, barring injury, will retire in that time. Bell & Trott will be 33-34, Broad 29, Anderson 32. If KP reverses his quit decision we will be even stronger in a match winning capacity, though possibly not in a unity one.
    The other nations arent in this position, their teams are still being worked out. Not a single one is in as strong a position as England.
    Cook may have moved on into the test captaincy by then, but will still be young enough to play ODI's, so I dont see him giving up the job.
    Here is the clincher for me. The ICC have recently changed the rules & brought in a ball change rule, meaning 2 new balls are used in 1 one innings. Where England have fallen down in places overseas, more sub continent than Australia to be fair, is forcing the pace once the ball has gone soft. This is playing straight into Englands hands. Therefore they've gone back to core value selection in picking the best test bowlers in Anderson, Broad, Finn & as in tests we have plenty of back up in Tremlett & Onions, not to mention Broad & Bresnan being quality all rounders, plus one of the best spinners around in all conditions.
    Why then, are we 6th favourites for the 20/20 & 50 overs game? No idea tbh, as I think odds of 7/1 & 8/1 are a steal. I'll stress though that the 50 overs is my main bet by far.
    The Champions Trophy is next year in England, & I expect us to shorten after that. We also play the Aussie s home & away next year, & I think we'll shorten again. The key is though, that although we'll have a test tour in the months going into the WC, there'll be a decent break going in. That hasnt been the case before & crucially wont be the case in Oz next winter either, meaning we might actually lengthen. To prove the point, we lost 6-1 in Oz after the last Ashes, but we were a tired & very different team.
    We've always been ok at home, now we are built to improve away :thumb
  2. swooperman

swooperman Resident nob

To clarify how serious I'm taking this, I havent bet big for a while, but I'm thinking of monthly inputs here up to a level of £1500 to £2k by the time we get there
  3. Seen

Seen Moderator

I got up to the word 'Cricket' and fell asleep.

Sorry.
  4. swooperman

swooperman Resident nob

This is Ladbrokes book. The reason I'm highlighting this book is that they have the 20/20 WC about right I think, with the top 7 teams in the market being 5/1 & 6/1, though how SA & England can be in the 3 outsiders of that I'm not sure. Bet365 incidentally go 7/1 England.

Jan'15 2015 ODI World Cup[​IMG]
    Australia 7/2
    India 4/1
    South Africa 4/1
    Sri Lanka 6/1
    England 7/1
    Pakistan 8/1
    New Zealand 12/1
    West Indies 16/1
    Bangladesh 66/1
    Zimbabwe 100/1
  5. swooperman

swooperman Resident nob

Zimbabwe & Bangladesh are no hopers. The Bangles couldnt be totally written off in their own backyard, but no chance in Australia. West Indies are a strange side & can never be totally ruled out with players like Gayle & Samuels, but the suspicion is that, obviously 30 months away, Sammy wont be captain & even if he is then hes playing as an extra bowler thats not quite good enough. New Zealand in Australia? Watching them at the moment you simply couldnt back them. Theyve not got enough match winners, & those that they have got are either injury prone, loopy or about to retire. Unbackable.
    Pakistan? Unpredictable, but not the team they were with Waquar & Waim that were world class enough to give them a chance in Australia.
    Sri Lanka @ 6/1? In the sub continent maybe, but not the same team with Muralitharan. No certainty than sangakkara & Jayawardene will still still be around as both will be late 30's by then, as will Dilshan. Can't see it.
    So the potential winners come from Australia, India, South Africa & England.
    The Aussies are at home, big advantage, but look at them at the moment? They've no depth, nothing after 7. Lee will be gone, Ponting already has. Mike Hussey didnt make this tour & him & his brother will be late 30's. They may follow Englands example with test bowlers & people like Cummins & Pattinson can do damage, but none of them bat so therefore the depth wont improve.
    India? Dont see it in Australia, & people like Tendulkar & Sehwag are getting on & not certain to be around. Good side playing so many ODIs but couldnt back them at 4s in Australia.
    South Africa? Big danger but we'll be 30 months down the line of De Villiers being the best batsman & captain, which could take its toll. decent side that always finds a way of losing the crucial ones, & will Kallis still be around?
    England the value bet by a mile:thumb
  6. winrew

winrew GILF

I got to " acts together " ...
  7. Kegman

Kegman Moderator

I like your thinking Swoops and may just join you on this pension scheme. I have a bet every week and instead of betting on womens volleyball etc that I know feck all about I could throw my weekly allowance into this.
  8. swooperman

swooperman Resident nob

Welcome aboard, Keg, I knew there was still some sense somewhere in this rancid. flea infested ship of ours :thumb
  9. Yorkieacer

Yorkieacer BEST GAMBLER IN WORLD

So what is the comp to back them in?
  10. swooperman

swooperman Resident nob

The 2015 ICC World Cup
  11. Seen

Seen Moderator

:lol Like Hornets has got the patience and discipline to wait 3 years for a payout :cool:
  12. ONEDUNME

ONEDUNME Administrator

And like Winrew will live long enough
  13. Kegman

Kegman Moderator

Seen got to 'cricket', Winrew got to 'acts together'...... Did Yorkie even read it ? :)
  14. Yorkieacer

:lol I read it but i got lost but i usually do in long posts
  15. traeth

traeth Moderator

that's the reason why most posters use commas and full stops , so that people who read them out aloud can take a breath. Didn't you realise that you could do that yorkie? :)
  16. Yorkieacer

:embarassed Ive never actually done that, its like when i read a book i always end up missing loads of it
  17. Kegman

Kegman Moderator

Another £10 thrown into the pension fund tonight :hope
  18. swooperman

swooperman Resident nob

KP coming back to ODIs as well, gives us more of an edge I think. He's undoubtedly a match winner if a bit of an egotistical knob lol. Cant move Belly now though. I'm starting next week I reckon, on the long road to 10k in early 2015
  19. Kegman

Kegman Moderator

I've now invested £47.66 into this pension fund at 7/1.

Just back from hols and i had forgot I had doubled Mexico to win their football group at 9/5 and England for this comp. I had another £5 double today - horse won at 10/3 so it's building up nice :hope
  20. swooperman

swooperman Resident nob

England just gone into number 1 in the current ODI rankings. What will happen with KP I havent a scooby but I was taking this bet without him anyway