1. Hi and welcome to Betnod. If you would like to view the forum without adverts then please register.

Super League XXV

Discussion in 'Sports Talk' started by SAMOAN, Jan 30, 2020.

1. SAMOAN

SAMOAN Moderator

Just typing as I watch the opening game of Super League 25, between Wigan and Warrington. Would expect both these to be play - off bound, but not convinced either will be winning any silverware.

St Helens dominated the league last year and were worthy Grand Final winners. They are fancied again, but do have a new coach in the shape of Kristian Woolf. Can't see the style of play changing too much and they have cover in plenty of positions so for me are worthy of the Favourites tag.

Catalans Dragons have made the news with the signing of ex Wallaby Isreal Folau. Leaving aside the politics, he is certainly an interesting recruit and he should help push the French side into a top 5 spot.

Leeds signings look solid enough, so they will improve on last year and Salford coach Ian Watson has signed a new deal, so whilst they have lost key players, there is at least stability in the coaching position.

Of the others Hull FC, must be more consistent and Hull KR must improve. For an outsider, Wakefield could go well, but will need luck with injuries.

Prior to the Folau signing, a lot of the talk was around the new boys of the Toronto Wolfpack. Another ex Union star in Sonny Bill Williams is their marquee signing and I would not expect them to have too many relegation worries.
    slick likes this.
  2. SAMOAN

SAMOAN Moderator

The opener certainly had a bit of everything.
  3. slick

slick Administrator

Only caught the last 10 mins and it looked a feisty game, I actually forgot Super league was kicking off last night.
    Salfords turn tonight, I'm just about to go and see if they're on the telly.
  4. SAMOAN

SAMOAN Moderator

Remiss of me not to mention Rob Burrow and Mose Masoe. Burrow has been diagnosed with motor neurone disease and Masoe suffered a bad spinal injury in a pre - season game against Wakefield. Fingers crossed for both guys.
    slick likes this.
  5. slick

slick Administrator

Ditto Samoan, Burrows is one of my favourite players and it was heartbreaking to see him upset like that.
    For a small guy he has the biggest heart I've ever seen and would run through a brick wall for Leeds, he's the epitome of what every sports person should be both on and off the field..
    I wish them both the best of luck.
  6. SAMOAN

SAMOAN Moderator

Trust you watched Salford tonight Slick. Cracking comeback.
  7. slick

slick Administrator

Can't say I did Samoan:embarassed
    Just presumed everything had been cancelled and I've been trading crypto again to get my eye back in.
    Don't tell me anymore although by your post I can probably guess what happened , I'll watch the replay later:thumb
  8. SAMOAN

SAMOAN Moderator

Cas v Saints now live on Sky Sports on Sunday and hopefully with not a lot else on the viewing figures will be positive. If they can keep going throughout the next Month, then surely they will attract a ton of new followers and can't think of too many better games to be showing in such times as Castleford v St Helens has tended to be an exciting match.

Off the top of my head there was one maybe four years ago, that Saints won with two late tries and of course there was the 2018 Golden Point Semi Final. Cas have been playing well and Saints have already lost twice in the league, so I definitely see a few points in this one.
    slick likes this.
  9. slick

slick Administrator

I hope so.
    I've said umpteen times on it's day RL is the best and most exciting game in the world.
    Now sport is limited hopefully more people will watch and enjoy it.

And for the great unwashed the rules are simple and nothing like Rugby union.
    Basically you have 6 plays of the ball each and try to make as much ground as possible.
    No rucks or line outs to slow the game down, no constant kicking at the back and simple scrums that don't take 5 mins to organise.
    SAMOAN likes this.
  10. SAMOAN

SAMOAN Moderator

Spot On Slick. Can't watch Union for any length of time and have no desire to learn all the rules. If I was a fan then the scrums would drive me mad. Countless resets lead ( as you say ) to 5 minute scrums and a lot of the time they don't seem to hold the clock up.
    slick likes this.
  11. SAMOAN

SAMOAN Moderator

From being paralysed from the shoulders down and only able to move his head. Mose Masoe is now able to walk with the aid of crutches. Top effort in just under 3 Months.
    slick likes this.
  12. slick

slick Administrator

That's fantastic news, lets hope the recovery continues:crossfingers
  13. SAMOAN

SAMOAN Moderator

News came through yesterday that Mose is now walking unaided. Won't be taking the first hit up any time soon, but still a miraculous effort.
    slick likes this.
  14. slick

slick Administrator

15. SAMOAN

SAMOAN Moderator

Warrington have signed Greg Inglis for 2021. Definitely one of the better players in recent history with 39 Australia caps, 32 appearances for Queensland in State of Origin and was the winner of the Golden Boot in 2009 as the world's best player.

Came very much out of the blue as in April 2019 he retired, because of ongoing issues with knee and shoulder injuries. Obviously a huge risk, but it could be just what the game needs in 2021 as the sport will need all the attention and interest it can get.
  16. slick

slick Administrator

Can't believe he's only 33, seems to have been around forever.
    Warrington are definitely taking a risk as he's been out for so long, has to be on a pay as you play basis surely.
  17. SAMOAN

SAMOAN Moderator

Super League returns tomorrow, with a Headingley double header. St Helens v Catalans is the first fixture at 4.15, with Leeds and Huddersfield to follow. 5 more games will be played next week, again at Headingley, before the show goes to St Helens with 5 fixtures at the Totally Wicked Stadium on the 15th / 16th. All these initial games will be live on SKY Sports.

Toronto have pulled out of the competition, due to the travel / testing / financial implications of Covid - 19, with no news of if / when / where they will return.

For the time being scrums have been axed, Instead, it will be a tap restart for the team that would otherwise have had the feed. The other significant change is the so-called 'six again' rule, which was introduced in Australia's NRL. Under this rule, any offence in the tackle other than foul play - such as lying on in the tackle or interfering at the play-the-ball - would lead to the referee resetting the tackle count back to zero, rather than awarding a penalty.

Over in OZ, they used a ringing of a bell to signify that six again had been awarded and with no crowds, I would imagine the same will apply over here.

With Toronto's withdrawal, there will be no relegation this year.
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
    slick likes this.
  18. SAMOAN

SAMOAN Moderator

Saints came back to action strongly and beat Catalans with ease. Sadly the big story form the game was Isreal Folau's refusal to " take a knee "

The second game has just gone to extra time golden point, with Leeds coming back form 20 points down ( with 15 minutes remaining ) to tie it up in the last minute.
    slick likes this.
  19. SAMOAN

SAMOAN Moderator

Huddersfield had the first shot in extra time, but Lee Gaskell's drop goal sailed wide. Luke Gale took his chance on Leeds next attack to give the Rhino's a 27 - 26 win.
  20. slick

slick Administrator

Sounds like a cracking game.
    Not managed to watch any sport today but hope to catch up with the highlights later.