1. Hi and welcome to Betnod. If you would like to view the forum without adverts then please register.

Wi-Fi Connections

Discussion in 'Tech and Info' started by ThunderCelt, May 27, 2014.

1. ThunderCelt

ThunderCelt National League Punter

I hope it's okay if I post this here, as I know Betnod is home to people who know their computing...

I've got a desktop I use for the internet with a modem and router etc to let the family laptops and 'phones connect to the web too. I bought a 'phone yesterday, and pressed the WPS button on the router to connect it, as the 'phone's instructions told me to. We immediately lost wifi internet to every device except the desktop and can't get it back.

Does anyone have any ideas?
  2. kompressaur

kompressaur spam removed by komp

seems almost paranormal to me TC lol I cant think of any way this would happen. you sure you didnt click the OFF button instead? (joke) Can you still see the wifi signal being broadcast? If so can you not try connecting manually?

you could try this to get your routers ip and then 'fuck about a bit with the settings'. Thats what i usually do
    http://checkip.dyndns.org/

good luck
  3. ThunderCelt

Thanks Komp. No, I didn't hit the off button.

And connecting manually is beyond me. :grr
  4. ONEDUNME

ONEDUNME Administrator

I know about fuck all about anything but I'm not sure why you woul have to fuck about with ur wires router to connect a phone to it. sounds like bollox to me. surely all u need to do is turn the wifi setting on ur phone and then type in the password for the router.

sounds like uv reset the wireless security settings and locked everything out. us ur desktop connected by an Ethernet cable by any chance? a that would explain why it's still working and the other devices aren't.

What kind if router is it? I know that the bt ones u can just go into hub manager on ur pc and change the settings. it might be the best idea to reset original settings and start again connecting everything up to it.
    ThunderCelt likes this.
  5. ThunderCelt

:thumb So, I can just do a reset, start all over again, and all will be fine? That's 'restore factory settings,' isn't it? I hadn't wanted to do that without some sort of reassurance 'cos I'm afraid of making things worse, but if that's what's needed...

It's a Netgear router, and yes, the deskie has a cable.
  6. slick

slick Administrator

Probably to late but have you tried unplugging it and plugging it back in first before doing a factory reset because you may not be setup for the default password as a lot of isp's use their own.
    it's not a big problem but if that's the case you will need to google the model number for the default admin user and pass to set it up.
  7. slick

slick Administrator

Seeing as his last post was this afternoon, I'll hazard a guess he's pressed it lol.
  8. ThunderCelt

Thank you all. In addition of particular ODM who was spot on with the solution when a couple of technical forums couldn't help:zhail

As a thank you I'm considering posting a winning tip next season.:crossfingers
  9. ONEDUNME

ONEDUNME Administrator

Blimey that's a good idea. Don't know why nobody has thought of it before:lol