1. Hi and welcome to Betnod. If you would like to view the forum without adverts then please register.

World T20 Cricket

Discussion in 'Other Sports Betting' started by Hippy Dave, Mar 7, 2014.

1. Hippy Dave

Hippy Dave Member

2. Hippy Dave

Hippy Dave Member

3. Hippy Dave

Hippy Dave Member

4. slick

slick Administrator

Hi Dave, long time no see and hope you and yours are doing well.

Australia favourite ffs, who'd have thought that 12 months ago, In which country are these matches being played?
  5. Hippy Dave

Hippy Dave Member

Hi Slick. Tournament in Bangladesh, would expect some slow, spinning pitches and miniature boundaries.
  6. slick

slick Administrator

I'll go for India or Sri Lanka then because those pitches are like playing on a different planet to what we are normally used to, Pakistan have been out of the frame for a long time and I'll be very surprised to see them turn it around and win the comp, I wouldn't be surprised though to see them finishing above the Aussies in group 2.
    I'm no cricketing expert mind but have been told plenty of times in the past by some of my asian workmates and they are usually right about the importance of the pitches in that part of the world.
  7. Hippy Dave

Hippy Dave Member

8. slick

slick Administrator

Good to see Afghanistan in the mix, my first thoughts were Steve and British Imperialism but I wouldn't be surprised to see them being a mix of of mainly Pakistani and the odd Afghan player because the relationship of both countries has always been close.
    On paper they may look a joke of a team but don't be shocked to see them throw up a few surprises.
  9. Hippy Dave

Hippy Dave Member

Afghanistan is almost all Afghan-born players, although a lot of them will have played most of their cricket in Pakistan. Hong Kong have plenty of Pakistanis, UAE a lot of Pakistanis/Indians and Netherlands are mostly South African/Australian.
  10. Hippy Dave

Hippy Dave Member

Netherlands are represented by 5 nations - Netherlands, South Africa, Australia, New Zealand and Pakistan.
    England equal that - England, New Zealand, South Africa, Ireland, Barbados
  11. Hippy Dave

Hippy Dave Member

Hong Kong to beat Nepal 7pts @ 1.91 - Sportingbet
    This price won't last long. HK have beaten Zimbabwe and Netherlands in warm-up games, with Nepal going down to Ireland and UAE. HK are the slightly better team, in much better form.
  12. Hippy Dave

Hippy Dave Member

UAE to win Group B 0.5pts @ 34.00 - Ladbrokes
    Netherlands are no longer the force they once were, Ireland are also weaker than they were a few years ago and Zimbabwe's players are continuously in dispute with their board. UAE are a decent batting and bowling team (and an awful fielding one), and their spinners should cause problems. 2 wins could be enough to qualify and at 33/1 it's worth a small interest.
  13. Hippy Dave

Hippy Dave Member

Paras Khadka top Nepal tournament bat 3pts @ 3.25 - bet365
    Khadka is by an absolute mile the best batsman in this Nepal team, and has some form from the warm-up games. Over (at least) 3 matches you'd have to expect him to top score.
  14. swooperman

swooperman Resident nob

I wouldn't rule afghanistan out of this opening game at all. Lots of pressure on bangladesh & Afghanistan have made enormous strides in the last few years
  15. Hippy Dave

Hippy Dave Member

Yeah, they've definitely got a chance, and beat Bangladesh in an ODI recently. Was tempted to back them but think the price just a little short now.
  16. SAMOAN

SAMOAN Moderator

As usual with these tourneys, going for the competition Top Batsmen / Bowler ( All prices Bet 365 ) -

TOP BATSMEN

QUINTON DE KOCK ( SA ) - Short at 18's, but been in top form recently and certainly does not hang about.

COREY ANDERSON ( NZ ) - Smashed an ODI century off only 36 balls back in January and is also a useful left arm seamer. Would expect him to start most games and definite appeal at 50's.

MOHAMMAD SHAHAZAD ( Afg ) - Certainly won't die wondering and often opens the innings. Can make an impact at 100's

KHURRAM KHAN ( UAE ) - Quick scoring left hander, who also captains the side. Basically could not resist at 500's.

TOP BOWLER

SHAHID AFRIDI ( Pak ) - Generally takes plenty of wickets and does look a threat under these conditions. IMO a shade over priced at 28's.

ANTON DEVCICH ( NZ ) - Hope he gets his chance and could be dangerous if he does. No more than a part time spinner, but still some interest at 125's.

GEORGE DOCKRELL ( Ire ) - Has got decent batsmen out throughout his career and probably needs to bowl well for Ireland to have any chance. Another " rag " but too much appeal at 200's.
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2014
  17. swooperman

swooperman Resident nob

I've been looking at this today as well. First thought is that surely the qualification stages can't count in total runs? An Afghani could have 9 games as a runner up to an Aussie's 6 as winner? Can't see it anywhere though.

My overall bet I'm tempted with Pakistan @ 8/1. There's no way I'd be backing Australia on the sub-continent @ 3/1, that's just ridiculous & an over-reaction to the 'Aussies are back' brigade. They're in the harder group & it's quite possible they won't even get out of it! I mean West Indies & Australia, in Asia, with India & Pakistan in the same group. Lunacy.
    Strict home advantage is irrelevant as Bangladesh won't win it, meaning the temptation is to go for Sri Lanka, India or Pakistan. The IPL does mean a lot more players are used to playing in these conditions, & that can't be discounted, but I'm not sure that India's bowling is as good as the other two's, although their batting is strong. For me it's a toss up between Sri Lanka & Pakistan, but I always feel impact cricketers can take the day in T20 & Pakistan have a lot of slow options & distance hitters. For that very reason West Indies can't be discounted but I'd want bigger, but Australia can be.

Regarding the runs, my working out is simple. If you assume that Bangladesh are the strongest qualifier & are going in the harder group, then it's a weaker qualifier going in the other one. That means that 3 of the 4 weakest bowling attacks in the competition after the group stages are in one group with NZ, England & that qualifier. I don't doubt that NZ can take an attack apart but it's the potential for them to go airborne I'm thinking of, & England only really have Morgan who looks to have the game on slow turners, but I like the idea of Corey Anderson but I don't think NZ will get far enough.
    Therefore, with the chances of teeing off against 3 weaker attacks rather than a harder other group, for me it has to be a South African or a Sri Lankan, & being in bangladesh there's only one choice there. I like De Cock but he hasn't played much IPL which is important grounding for this. De Villiers, will he get enough crease time? For me it has to be Sangakkara or Dilshan, & I'm swaying big towards Dilshan @ 25/1.
    Of the other short runners, far too short if you ask me, Gayles always got a shout & although he prefers pace he's happy enough facing spin, but will the WI's get far enough? 12's is short when he might well only play 4 games. Kohli is the leader of a number of Indians who could go well but I would much rather be on a far more certain qualifier from the other group. No brainer for me.
    I wouldn't back an Aussie anyway as I'm not at all sure they'll qualify but Finch would be my preference. he hits straighter than Warner & will be less unsettled by facing slow straight up
  18. SAMOAN

SAMOAN Moderator

Wondered that myself Swoops. Bet365's book closes tomorrow at 9am on both Top player markets, so obviously I am hoping that the qualifiers do count. Based my bets on that and would certainly need them to count for my outsiders to have a chance.
  19. swooperman

swooperman Resident nob

They must do mate, for it not to be mentioned. If Bangladesh were going into Englands group their batters would be worth a look on that proviso. Think afridi looks decent
  20. Hippy Dave

Hippy Dave Member